Wednesday 26 October 2011

Finally Custom Plates on my MX-5

When you live in a country with a small population, getting unique things which mean something to you is easier. So here I was with an MX-5 and I knew I wanted some custom number plates with my lucky number on them. Fortunately VicRoads has a special program Vplates which allows you to select registration plates of your choice and they ship them to you. The options I was after were my initials and lucky number and I got exactly what I wanted!

The process of ordering was quite easy, and the plates came in a week later. The treatment from vicroads is royal! The plates came in a nice case, with a certificate of authenticity, and a nice keyring.


The  keyring said 'signature plates' on one side and had a random number on the other side. My understanding was this number should be my registration number (same as plates), however after several calls vicroads confirmed, that is only done for the heritage plates (not signature plates).

The difficult bit began when I realized the plates wouldn't fit my MX5. Once assigned, you have to immediately have the plates on the car. Now unlike India, labor isn't cheap here in Australia, so I couldn't just run out to someone to fix the plates for me. The plates come in a protective frame with a mounting bracket and vicroads advised its best not take the plates out of the protective frame for obvious reasons. So finally after exhausting various options like trying myself, going to a local mechanic (who suggested drilling holes!), went to my mazda dealer and they agreed to modify the plates to fit the car during my first 1000kms service.

So the servicing is done today and the plates fixed (cost 80 dollars) and here are some more pics!


Shots of the interiors


No comments:

Post a Comment